The Garden Handbook e-book is a comprehensive PDF guide to creating and tending a backyard garden.
Please note that while this is a digital product, you are more than welcome to print it out!
Part One: Build
- How to determine your growing zone and the best location for your garden
- Pros and cons of raised versus in-ground gardens
- 2 raised bed blueprints
- My recipe for great dirt (to fill your raised beds)
- Patio garden planting tips
- Container size recommendations for common plants
Part Two: Plan
- How to plan your garden
- Favorite beginner edible plants
- Favorite beginner flowers
- Guide to companion planting
- Planning your garden layout
- Guide to plant spacing
- 4 sample garden plans
- How to start seeds
- How to harden off your seedlings
- How to direct sow seeds
Part Three: Tend
- Using soaker hoses (and how I lay mine out)
- How to pinch your plants
- How to correctly cut flowers
- Seasonal tasks
Part Four: Trouble
- My troubleshooting process
- Pest and disease prevention methods
- Best and disease treatments
Part Five: Printables
- Planning grid page
- Planning dot grid page
- Garden wishlist
- Seed starting and plant purchasing guide
- Week-by-week to-do list (organize your tasks and seeds to start before your last frost date)
- Plant profile
- Troubleshooting notes - keep track of pests, diseases, and treatment efficacy
- Recurring tasks
- Harvest schedule
- Fertilizer schedule
- Seed and tuber inventory
- Various note and checklist pages
Plus links to everything I use in my garden and additional recommended products.
Well worth it!
Whitney approaches gardening the way that my brain works! I love on her planning tools and how she steps you through everything. Her approach to how to plan out each week is indispensable.
Easy to print and use
The perfect tool for chaotic gardeners
Every year I have the best intentions to plan my garden more thoroughly and every year I start seedlings too early, I have to many, and I’m trying to squeeze more plants than I should into each garden bed. I’ve tried several different spreadsheets, written plans, and digitial calendar reminders, but I’m usually struggling through everything. After seeing Whitney’s instagram post about how she utilizes the planning printables I knew this was what I needed! In a couple hours I had an organized, cohesive plan and a clear vision on what I was planting in my garden, where everthing was going, and when I needed to start each type of seed. I’m such a visual person so writing everything down and breaking down each step of the way made it possible for me to feel organized and ready for this year’s garden without wasting my time, energy, and seeds. I can’t wait to continue using the e-book as a resource and continue using the printables to keep records of the garden throughout the spring, summer, and fall seasons.
This is so helpful!!! I feel much better prepared and didn’t have to search the Internet for hours to plan my garden. Whether it’s your first year gardening or your fifteenth year - you’re gardening in containers on a balcony or utilizing a plot of raised beds - this handbook will help you every step of the way. Whit even gives you ideas for flowers and veggies that are easy to grow as well as links to her favorite garden supplies. I love that I can just reprint the pages as needed too.
I'm so glad I came across Whitney's book and printables! I've missed most of planting season in Florida but am already started planning for next year using the printables. Love this resource!! In addition to useful information, the e-book is beautiful as well!